Thursday, July 10, 2008

Welcome to Deep in Flowers

If I have to be deep in something, it might as well be flowers! They offer joy, peace comfort, and a constant reminder of both the beauty and fragile temporal nature of all life.

Flowers have become a hobby and an interest to me in recent years as I have been more physically challenged and stay closer to home, where I have found much consolation and meditation in gardening.

I hope to post my experiences as well as useful information as I blog about this wonderful subject. I hope to attract those who will also share their experiences and helpful hints with me.

This year I have been successful in planting some flowering shrubs and perennials, including a clipping of foxglove and trumpet vine that I received from a friend who was born in Sri Lanka and has her home in the USA like a tropical paradise! I have much to learn from her, she actually rescues plants in distress and they become so beautiful in her home. She is especially talented with orchids of many species. I never knew that orchids like humidity and actually absorb it through their roots often in the absence of soil. She has a sunroom where she controls the humidity to be perfect for her orchids.

My favorite spring annuals, mounds and mounds of pansies, have done very well this year in both my garden and all their pots. However the hotter weather is getting to them and they are becoming stringy, even with heading them daily. I will probably repalce them with some marigolds I have waiting.

No comments: